Monday, May 7, 2012

Highs and lows

It's been 2 days since my half marathon, and since I did not get out yesterday for a recovery run, today seemed perfect.  I got off of work early because of a cancelled meeting, got some things done around the apartment, and took off wearing my new Road ID on one wrist and my Garmin as usually on the other.  The run started out great for the first mile, I was pacing faster than I thought I would be able to, and then I started to have pain in my lower leg, so I stopped to stretch. I started runing again, but now much, much slower and not feeling well at all!  All I wanted was to get home, but I decided I would adjust my attitude and do what I set out to do: enjoy the beautiful day with a nice relaxing run.  I struggled through mile 2, and as I was heading back I decided to take a detour down a road I had never been down.  I took a left, started looking around and became distracted looking at houses searching for "my future house".  I saw 3 cute houses for sale, although the caution tape that seemed to be on the ground from one kind of frightened me! I took a right, then another right, then a few more turns. Before I knew it I was at 3.78 miles turning back onto my street. As I ran down the street a little girl on a tricycle asked me "why are you running?" I shouted back to her "because I like to run", apparently my answer was not good enough for her because as I was getting my mail she rode over to me and asked again :o) I told her this time that I loved to accomplish goals, and would have told her all about my half marathon, but I didn't think she could fathom the distance.  So I switched the topic to shoes, and soon after she rode back across the street and I ran towards my building to finish out at 4 miles. It's amazing how one run can go from high to low, to high with the right attitude.  At 1.5 miles I was sure I would be done for in a mile, but I changed my attitude, went further, and enjoyed the run; even if it was slower than normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment