Thursday, May 17, 2012

Swim, Swam, Swum

I did my first official swim of the triathlon training tonight. It went really well.  I was supposed to swim 50 yards, and rest 45 seconds to 1 minute based on my ability. Well, I was a bit of an overachiever, I swam 80 yards (2 laps), and then took 30-45 second breaks.  It was nice to get into the pool and swim short bursts with resting time.  I didn't feel as tired or bored as when I go out and just swim for 20-30 minutes.  I think I will modify the swimming plan a little bit to increase distance, and speed. 

As I was swimming I noticed another swimmer that was swimming and then resting, so I asked her if she was also doing the Great Beginner Triathlon training, and she was! I was about done when she was just getting started, but I watched her for a few minutes and was able to let her know that she was bringing her arm all the way around when she was breathing.  We talked a little bit, but then I was done with my swim so I took off. 

I'm pretty optimistic that this triathlon will go MUCH better than my first!  For my first triathlon in 2010 I did the Trek Triathlon Series in Pleasant Prairie and just about quit after being in the water for 10 yards.  I didn't get any open water training in, and freaked out in the water!  I was so excited to get going that I neglected to mentally prepare for my long swim across the lake.  I feel that if I am able to maintain my running from my half marathon I should not have any problem with this triathlon.  I am looking forward to gaining knowledge from coaches Kitty, Cory, and Jessica at SBR Coaching

No comments:

Post a Comment